Sihanoukville Airport opens renovated terminal
Sihanoukville International Airport’s renovated passenger terminal was presented to the public during a soft launch held yesterday.
The terminal’s renovation is part of an ambitious plan by Cambodia Airports, the company that manages all international airports in the Kingdom, to revamp the airport to prepare for a projected hike in passenger traffic as Sihanoukville enters the radar of more and more tourists in the region.
According to a statement from Cambodia Airport released yesterday, the airport’s renovation programme includes an expansion of the airport by as much as 80 percent of its current size, a “total revamp” of facilities, (particularly the check-in area, boarding lounge and baggage claim zone), and the installation of new equipment, including a baggage handling system.
Nicolas Notebaert, president of Vinci Airports, Cambodia Airports’ mother company, said the terminal’s soft launch is a testament to the company’s and the Cambodian government’s commitment to improving air transport in the country.
“Today’s ceremony marking the commissioning of Sihanouk International Airport’s new terminal reflects the successful partnership between the Government of Cambodia and Vinci Airports.
We are actually taking a new step in our journey to develop Sihanoukville airport so that it contributes to unlocking the economic, touristic and social growth potential of the Kingdom’s entire seaside,” he said.
Taing Sochet Krisna, director of the Tourism Department in Preah Sihanouk province, told Khmer Times the renovation of the terminal was a natural outcome of the rise in popularity of Sihanoukville as a tourism destination.
“Our policy is to attract more and more tourists as well as investment into the province, and, in this regard, the renovation of the terminal of the airport is key to the provision of a better and more convenient service,” he said.
Mr Krisna said last year his province saw almost 2 million tourists, 500,000 of which were foreigners.
He said the province’s airport now has a great number of air connections with countries in the region, particularly China, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand. “I expect that within the next two years the airport will be handling flights from even more distant countries.”
According to Cambodia Airports, the next part of their renovation programme for the airport in Sihanoukville comprises the extension of the runway by 800 metres to reach 3.3 kilometres. “Once completed, the airport will accommodate on a regular basis bigger aircraft and flights from farther markets, especially from other parts of Asia.”
In 2017, the number of passengers going through Cambodia’s international airports totalled 8.8 million. Phnom Penh and Siem Reap international airports both received 4.2 million passengers, while Sihanoukville International Airport welcomed 338,000.
- UAE To Cambodia - Everything You Need To Know
- Travel to Cambodia from Canada: The Important Requirements
- Travel to Cambodia from Philippines: Beyond Boracay's Beauty
- Weather in Cambodia: What Are The Seasonal Indications
- Angkor Wat Sunrise – Top 6 Best Spots for seeing
- Pchum Ben Festival: Explore Cambodian Spiritual Significance
- Discover The Captivating Beauty of Kampong Cham in Cambodia
- Travel To Cambodia From The US: Remarkably Useful Tips To Known
- Cambodia Island: Top 6 Best Destinations of The Country
- Cambodia Currency For Travelers: Advice To Exchange Money For Best Rate And Safe
- Cambodia New Year: Traditions & Festivities for Travelers to Join
- What to do in Kampot: Things To Reach The Flavorful Adventure
- Travel from Laos to Cambodia: What Is The Best Way to Go
- Apsara Dance In Cambodia: History & The Best Places to See Tradition
- Angkor Thom - Exploring Cambodia's Giant Lost-City
- Bokor Mountain Cambodia - A Journey To The Past
- A Guide To Travel From The UK To Cambodia
- Kirirom National Park: A Small But Precious Biosphere Reserve
- The Cambodia Royal Palace: Beauty for All to Discover
- Traditional Cambodian Clothing - Exploring The Vibrant World Of The Nation
- Travel To Cambodia From Australia - The Most Helpful Tips
- Battambang Travel - Explore The Hidden Gem Of Cambodia
- Cambodia Language: Common Khmer Phrases For Travel
- Cambodia Public Holidays: National Events Highlights
- Water Festival in Cambodia: General & Tips for Travelers to Join Perfectly
- Siem Reap in Cambodia: What to Do & How to Get There
- Koh Rong: What Makes Cambodia's Most Attractive Island
- The Best Ways to Get to Cambodia from Thailand
- Vietnam to Cambodia: Basic Routes & Visas Guide for Travelers
- The Best Time To Visit Cambodia
- International Women’s Day
- Enjoy Sweet Valentine's Day with Cambodia e-visa promotion
- New Year - New Everything
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Join us if you dare for a halloween scare
- Wonderful beaches in Southeast Asia
- Top 3 famous tourist destinations in Southeast Asia
- Vesak Bochea Day in Cambodia: How is celebrated Buddha Day
- Phnom Bakheng: Best for Sunset Viewing
- Top 3 things to do in Phnom Penh
- Discover Angkor Wat in Cambodia - Place must visit for travelers
- Cambodia travel tips and advice for first-timer
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Hot deal for Summer of Cambodia e-Visa
- Fascinating Cambodian Cuisine: 12 Unique Dishes to Feast On (Part 1)
- Top 5 Cambodia Souvenirs: Best things to buy
- Big Deals for Cambodia eVisa
- Phnom Penh’s most iconic restaurants
- Women’s Day promotion: Special offer for Cambodia e-visa
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- 10 best Cambodia beaches
- Cambodia Public Holiday in Year 2015
- The 10 Most Beautiful Places to Visit in Cambodia
- 10 ways to save money when travelling
- 10 Top Tourist Attractions in Cambodia
- Best temples Angkor Wat in Siem Riep - The heart of Cambodia