Vietnam to Cambodia: Basic Routes & Visas Guide for Travelers
There are three ways to have a Vietnam to Cambodia tour: by boat, plane, or car. There are currently no international trains running between these two nations.
No matter the manner you pick, departing from Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) is the most popular choice for both time-saving and cost-saving. Siem Reap and Phnom Penh are the most well-known and often visited arrival cities in Cambodia.
How get to Cambodia from Vietnam?
Vietnam and Cambodia are two neighboring countries, located next to each other in Southeast Asia. Tourists who want to move from Vietnam to Cambodia have many choices of means of transportation.
1. Vietnam to Cambodia Flights
The quickest and most convenient way to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia is via plane.
In the low season, an economy-class ticket costs as little as US$90 (July to September). The price can quadruple in the high season (October to March).
Flights have been drastically reduced as a result of the COVID-19 epidemic. Only Ho Chi Minh City provides daily departures to two top Cambodian cities.
Flights to Siem Reap
You may take a direct flight from Ho Chi Minh City in around hours (the fastest way from Vietnam to Siem Reap).
Flights from Danang (Hoi An's nearest airport, 2 hours away) only leave on particular days, like Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
No direct flights depart for Siem Reap from Hanoi.
Flights to Phnom Penh
Direct flights from Vietnam to Phnom Penh are only available from Ho Chi Minh City (55 minutes) and Hanoi (2 hours). Flights from Hanoi depart every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.
Travel to Cambodia from Vietnam is simple.
2. Vietnam to Cambodia via Boat
Traveling by boat is another method to discover the beauty of the Mekong River. You may take a 5-hour boat or a 3-7-day foreign cruise. Ferries from the Tinh Bien border crossing (Chau Doc province) to Phnom Penh range in price from US$25 to US$65.
Every day at around 7:30 a.m., a 5-hour ferry to Phnom Penh departs from Chau Doc, Vietnam. It takes about 06 hours by road from Ho Chi Minh City to Chau Doc, so you should spend the night there to be ready for the morning ferry.
It takes 3 hours by car to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Can Tho, Vietnam's largest floating market. Then, it takes 3 hours to drive from Can Tho to Chau Doc.
3. Vietnam to Cambodia by Mekong Cruise
Cruising the Mekong River might be the cherry on top of your trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Viewing sunrises and sunsets in the Mekong Delta, uncovering spectacular sights along the route, and taking in the breathtaking environment at a leisurely riverboat pace are the most memorable experiences.
The cruise has two options: a 3-night, 4-day journey between Ho Chi Minh and Phnom Penh or a 7-night, 8-day tour between Ho Chi Minh and Siem Reap.
The Heritage Line is the most popular cruise line, with two ships: The Jahan (5-star) and The Jayavarman (4-star). Usually, there are two departures per month from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap (and back).
4. Vietnam to Cambodia by Road
Overland travel is the slowest choice. Vietnam and Cambodia share seven border crossings, several of which offer Visa on Arrival services.
Moc Bai, Vietnam - Bavet, Cambodia is the most popular crossing. On the bus, you need at least 6 hours and a half by land: from Ho Chi Minh, it's 2 hours to Moc Bai and then roughly 4 hours and a half to Phnom Penh, including the border crossing (about 1 hour).
Taking a private transfer is the most pleasant and convenient choice, costing about US$300 per car, and it's a bit quicker too.
Buses are the cheapest mode of transportation, costing between $20 and $35. When passing through immigration, you'll need to get off the bus (change bus) and carry/wheel all your bags with you.
How to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap?
At the moment, there are no direct buses from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap. You're encouraged to travel to Siem Reap straight. Direct flights from Ho Chi Minh City take around 112 hours and cost US$100 or more for economy class in the low season (May to November).
The mix of seductive café culture, the lovely royal palace, and colonial structures make a visit to Phnom Penh worthwhile, though.
Flight from Ho Chi Minh city to Siem Reap
5 essential things you need to know about Vietnam to Cambodia trip
If the above are instructions on how to move from Vietnam to Cambodia, in this section, let's Cambodia Immigration Services review 05 essential things to make your trip to Cambodia the most convenient!
1. Cambodia visa requirement
Except for citizens of ASEAN countries, foreign tourists are required to obtain a valid visa to visit Cambodia. A Visa on Arrival is accessible at the majority of Cambodian border crossings. But! You must know that the Government of Cambodia has provided online visas to help visitors save time for procedures as well as budget for the trip.
Let’s contact us to apply for Cambodia online visa for travelers NOW to begin your trip to Cambodia!
Visa requirements to travel to Cambodia
2. How many Border Crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia?
Many options are given to you as Vietnam and Cambodia share more international border crossings (generally open to all foreign travelers as long as they possess a valid passport or visa).
Below is 06 popular border crossings for travelers who want to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia:
- Moc Bai (Vietnam) - Ba Vet (Cambodia): This is on the main bus route between Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh; thus, it is considered as the most popular and convenient border crossing.
- Vinh Xuong (Vietnam) - Kaam Sammor (Cambodia) is a preferred crossing for independent travelers and boat services are available and fast.
- Tinh Bien (Vietnam)- Phnom Den (Cambodia).
- Xa Xia / Ha Tien (Vietnam) - Prek Chak (Cambodia).
- Le Thanh (Vietnam) - O Yadao (Cambodia).
The most popular buses from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh are preferred to cross Vietnam – Cambodia border. And this is the most cost-effective way to get from Vietnam to Cambodia. The cost-effective way is $10 and takes 07h 16m.
There is no stop on the trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh.
4. Drive from Vietnam to Cambodia?
Yes. The driving distance between Vietnam to Cambodia is 239 km. This route takes 03h 32m to drive from Vietnam to Cambodia.
5. Something to be ready for the next trip
- Exchange Vietnam dong (VND) for Cambodian Riel (KHR) currency. However, USD is the most popular currency for tourists to this country.
- Remember to bring light clothes and an umbrella since the weather in Cambodia is hot and humid with a lot of rainfall.
- A Cambodia sim card with 4G data for the internet on your trip.
- Cambodia travel insurance is one of the necessary documents to protect you when traveling.
It is an easy process if you want to get from Vietnam to Cambodia. This is because Vietnam and Cambodia are currently two friendly and close neighbors in Southeast Asia. After reading through the article, you may have a general idea of how to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia. From there, you will easily plan your trip in the most scientific and thoughtful way possible.
Cambodia Immigration Services now has a way to make traveling to Cambodia easier and faster than ever thanks to its fast and convenient e-Visa service. Visit our website to see how fast it is!
- Travel To Cambodia From Australia - The Most Helpful Tips
- Battambang Travel - Explore The Hidden Gem Of Cambodia
- Cambodia Language: Common Khmer Phrases For Travel
- Cambodia Public Holidays: National Events Highlights
- Water Festival in Cambodia: General & Tips for Travelers to Join Perfectly
- Siem Reap in Cambodia: What to Do & How to Get There
- Koh Rong: What Makes Cambodia's Most Attractive Island
- The Best Ways to Get to Cambodia from Thailand
- The Best Time To Visit Cambodia
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- New Year - New Everything
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Join us if you dare for a halloween scare
- Wonderful beaches in Southeast Asia
- Southeast asia - A wonderful journey
- Vesak Bochea Day in Cambodia: How is celebrated Buddha Day
- Phnom Bakheng: Best for Sunset Viewing
- Top 3 things to do in Phnom Penh
- Discover Angkor Wat in Cambodia - Place must visit for travelers
- Cambodia travel tips and advice for first-timer
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- Sihanoukville Airport opens renovated terminal
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Hot deal for Summer of Cambodia e-Visa
- Fascinating Cambodian Cuisine: 12 Unique Dishes to Feast On (Part 1)
- Top 5 Cambodia Souvenirs: Best things to buy
- Big Deals for Cambodia eVisa
- Phnom Penh’s most iconic restaurants
- Women’s Day promotion: Special offer for Cambodia e-visa
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- 10 best Cambodia beaches
- Cambodia Public Holiday in Year 2015
- The 10 Most Beautiful Places to Visit in Cambodia
- 10 ways to save money when travelling
- 10 Top Tourist Attractions in Cambodia
- Best temples Angkor Wat in Siem Riep - The heart of Cambodia